10 Search Engine Optimisation Tips
SEO, or search engine optimisation, is the practice of optimising websites and content to improve brand visibility and ranking on search engine results pages (SERPs). Implementing SEO best practices can help gain a better online presence and reach a wider audience, also making the website user-friendly by enhancing user experience through relevant and valuable content. You may be able to make these changes yourself, however you may need to conduct these actions through whoever set up your website if you don’t have access to the Content Management System (CMS), such as WordPress.
- Identify relevant keywords: Research and identify keywords that are relevant to mortgage advising. Use keyword research tools like Google Keyword Planner or SEMrush to find popular search terms that your target audience is using.
- Optimise your website: Ensure that your website has a clear and logical structure. Use relevant keywords in your page URLs, headers, and content to help search engines understand the context and relevance of your website. For example, breaking your content into subsections can help readability and advanced heading structure makes it easier for search engines to understand.
- Create high-quality content: Develop informative and engaging content that addresses the needs and queries of your target audience. Focus on topics related to mortgages, home buying, refinancing, protection and other relevant financial information.
- Localise your content: Target specific geographic areas in the UK where you operate. Incorporate location-specific keywords and create content that addresses the unique mortgage requirements of those areas. Keep in mind visual aesthetics such as photography, making sure the content matches the location and meets the needs of your target market.
- Optimise meta tags and descriptions: Craft compelling meta tags and meta descriptions that include relevant keywords and accurately summarise the content of each page. Meta tags describe the content and help search engines categorise it. Meta descriptions can impact click-through rates by providing a preview of the website’s content. Well-crafted meta descriptions increase the chances of search engines using them as snippets, attracting more organic traffic.
- Optimise for mobile: Ensure your website is mobile-friendly and responsive. With the increasing use of smartphones and tablets, optimising for mobile devices is crucial for better search engine rankings. Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is a useful framework published by Google, helping to create simple mobile websites that load almost instantly.
- Improve page loading speed: Page loading speed is an important factor in both user experience and search engine rankings. Optimise your website’s performance by compressing images and not overloading the page. Compressing images refers to the process of reducing the file size of an image without sacrificing its visual quality. To compress an image, you can use dedicated software or online tools that apply these compression techniques, such as TinyPNG.
- Build high-quality backlinks: Focus on building authoritative and relevant backlinks from reputable websites. Seek opportunities to guest post on industry-related blogs or collaborate with local business directories to enhance your website’s visibility. A backlink is a hyperlink from one website to another, acting as a vote of confidence and credibility. They are essential in determining a website’s relevance and popularity in search engines.
- Leverage social media: Engage with your target audience on social media platforms to promote your expertise and drive traffic to your website. Share valuable content, engage in conversations, and encourage users to share and link back to your website.
- Monitor and analyse your performance: Utilise SEO tools such as Google Analytics to monitor your website’s performance. Track keyword rankings, organic traffic and user engagement metrics to identify areas for improvement and optimise your SEO strategy.
Remember, search engine optimisation is an ongoing process, so be patient and consistent with your efforts. It may take time to see significant results but implementing these tips should help you improve your visibility, attracting more relevant traffic to your website.
For more marketing tips, contact the marketing team on 0345 130 7446 or via email at email@example.com